Saturday, March 12, 2016

What's In A Name?

Seventeen years ago (and two days to be exact) I was laying in a hospital room wondering: what were we going to name our son?  My husband and I had gone back and forth over a hundred names, and nothing seemed to fit.  We had had late night and early morning discussions, and still seemed unable to come to some sort of an agreement. 

I imagine that those who understand the power that comes with a name, understand the dilemma-- whatever you choose, it will have a lasting impression-- hopefully for the good. It needs to be just right-- and if more than one person is in charge of the naming..... well, things can get pretty interesting.

A long time ago a group of people had a naming problem.  For them, it wasn't a child they were naming, it was a church.  A church based on the teachings of Christ, one that was founded on His gospel, and they wanted to give it just the right name. 

But what do you name a church?  Like a child, a church is a living entity-- not as an individual, but as a collective of living souls, so it too has life and meaning.  A church name needs to communicate to the non-members and members alike what the beliefs of the members are.  It needs to convey a sense of purpose. 

In 3 Nephi 27:6-8 it reads, 'And whoso taketh upon him my name, and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day.

Therefore, whatsoever ye shall to, ye shall do it in my name; therefore ye shall call the church in my name; and ye shall call upon the Father in my name that he will bless the church for my sake.

 And how be it my church save it be called in my name?  For if a church be called in Moses' name then it be Moses' church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are build upon my gospel.'

Names are important things.  They can convey meaning and purpose and identity all in a few, short syllables.  It is important to know the purpose and the identity of individuals by name-- just a 'Hey, you!' won't do, and for churches, 'That nice place' won't do either.  

As for my son, just shortly after he was born I knew what his name was.  I felt at peace at once, and knew that this was going to work.  For the people naming their church, they soon had it resolved-- after all, it was Christ's church, and now they knew what to do.

No comments: