Friday, March 25, 2016

That We May Have Light

Have you ever had 'one of those days'? Days when everything seems to be breaking down, days when the doctor appointment doesn't go as planned, and days when the world is in chaos and hope seems like a lost daydream from a forgotten era.  On those days, I often feel as if I'm drowning in the sea, barely able to bring myself up to the surface for a moment's break. I don't like those days.

Those are the days when I feel buried beneath the weight of it all, gasping for breath.

But, when those days come, I have a plan.  My plan is simply this: To remember I am not alone. 

When I remember I am not alone in my struggles, and not alone on my journey in the depths of the sea, it places in my heart a Seed of Peace.  This seed brings a calm assurance that order can grow from out of the chaos, and happiness can exist and outweigh despair. 

Sometimes what we need in life is a light-- a light that shines so bright it pushes the darkness away from us.  But where do we find that light?  And how do we make sure it is a light that can 'push the darkness away from us'?

In today's modern world we have tons of science and tech--  we have electricity to light our homes, and we have the internet to light up our intellect and curiosity.  But what can light up our insides?  Which of those things can reach into our very core, our souls, and bring such an overwhelming feeling of light into us?

"And I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man...that we may have light while we cross the sea."  Ether 3:4

The answer is God. 

There are many times when life is going to be difficult.  There are going to be times in our lives when we fear the uncertain future--the sinking of ships, the bombs of the unkind, the accidents that scare and scar.  Those are the times when we are tossed in the sea, when our fears generate a power that intimate our souls.

Where can we turn?  Where do we go?

The answer is God. 

God can bring peace and healing to our souls. God can give light to the dark places in the world. When we invite God into our lives, we fill up with light.  And light loves to travel-- so much so, that when we feel ourselves filling up with light, we share it.  We reach out in kindness, we forgive, we help, we aid, we know...... We know how much of a difference it can make, and so we want to share-- because light is love. 

God's love. 




No comments: