Saturday, December 5, 2015

One Tree, Two Trees, Three Trees

It's December.

It's time for sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, no-bake cookies, wreaths indoors, wreaths outdoors, presents in wrapping paper, presents with string, presents in stockings, and presents of time, and presents of service, making turkey, baking hams, mashed potatoes, and trees.

It's time for a sanity check.

When did Christmas become so.......so BIG?

Does it really need to be?


Today I was the recipient of an act of kindness.  Yesterday I had purchased from a store, a small box that contained two small flocked Christmas trees.  After opening the box last night, it was discovered that one of the trees had a broken base.  When I called this morning, an employee told me to bring back the broken tree, but I could leave the good one here at the house.  After arriving at the store, I was asked to wait while someone went and brought forward another box.  I used the time to rock in the chair provided (they had it on display, and I was happy to check out its rocking abilities), moving my feet when ever someone would pass by.  In just a few minutes, a new box was brought to the front, and I went to the desk.  The employee opened the box, lifted one tree out, and then gestured for me to take the  box.  I told her that the box contained two trees, and I had only returned one.  She looked confused-- and then the manager who was standing a few feet away, called to her, and told her to give me the entire contents of the box-- two new trees.  My jaw dropped-- kindness in the mad rush of a Saturday in December?  Kindness-- more true than he could possibly imagine-- indeed.  


My first thought was: Are you serious?  Really?  And then my eyes began to water-- because I've have become accustomed to the brutal, unfeeling, and rather bored people that surround us during this time of year.  It's what the days leading up to Christmas have become.  Ask any mom to describe in only a few words, this time of year, and 'stressful' is bound to be one of them.  But in the blink of an eye, my day changed and became full of gratitude for a man (Thank you Ben!) who took the time to make someone's day a lot brighter.


"For I say unto you that whatsoever is good cometh from God..."  -- Alma 5:40.


As I sit on my couch, and look around me, I see a small tree, I see my grandmothers rocking chair, and I see my life-- symbolically nestled around me into a small sphere.  My children have just left the room after joining me for a short scripture study.  We've offered a prayer to our Heavenly Father. The lights of the tree shine down on the little baby wrapped in an old tablecloth symbolizing the swaddling clothes.  There are no gaily wrapped presents there-- not yet anyways.  For in this quiet, perfect, moment, all is well.   For now, all is calm-- and Peace is found in a basket of hope.


When did Christmas become so........ so personal?


Answer: Whenever, wherever, and in whomever the Light of Hope is shining forth.

Pass it on.








No comments: