Saturday, November 7, 2015

Post Halloween Contemplation

Recently I had a discussion with my youngest child about how much candy is an acceptable amount to eat.  I am sure many parents out there have had a similar one some time this week with their children.  Post Halloween can be a sugar madhouse with its sugar rushes, and downward emotional spirals.  If I went with my child's opinion, every meal would consist of candy, some raspberries, and some more candy.  Not the healthiest choice.  If only he was asking for something healthy, then I would be happy with his 'I want more' attitude.

So far, the best way to teach my children about healthy vs unhealthy, is to let them eat as much junk as they want in a short amount of time....... because, for some reason, they don't believe me when I tell them how awful they will feel if they eat too much junk food.  Somewhere-- TV, movies, those evil conniving commercials, they got the message that candy and junk food is fun.  But  I know it isn't.   It isn't enough that I know, they need to know, too.  So I let them have their firsthand experience, and after a day-- sometimes two-- they come to me asking for some 'real food'.  Lost of it, too.

Mission accomplished.

There is another kind of health food that we ingest: spiritual food.  We have to nourish our spirits and souls just as much as we do our physical bodies.  Do we start our day with a candy bar?  (Hopefully not, but all bets are off the week after Halloween).  How can we progress in our life and with our goals, if we fill our day with 'spiritual junk'?  We can't.

We need to start with the healthy spiritual elements, and continue to incorporate them into our day.

How do we start up our spiritual energy?  Do we pray?  Do we 'take in' nourishing spiritual food like scriptures?  What do you consider holy?  I know I try to 'take in' all that I find good and uplifting.  I have a Bible, but I also have a Book of Mormon. I read them both daily.

In 2 Nephi 29: 13 it says, 'And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.'

I love this scripture because it reminds me that our Heavenly Father loves each one of us, no matter our heritage, no matter our location, and no matter where we stand in this world.  He wants all of us to find joy.  He wants all of us to return to Him.  He loves us all.

He wants to communicate that message to all of us.  Around the world, and through all time, He works to spread His message of love and redemption and peace.  We may find God's love shining on us in the smile or the kind words of a friend.  We may find words of encouragement from God in the words of a people long since past.  We will have to be on the lookout-- because God's ways are not our ways.  We have a lot to learn, but as we pull together as people of faith-- faith in Heavenly Father and His ways, we are blessed.  We can reach out to one another and strengthen each other, and spread the message of hope and peace.

There is a lot in the world that can be considered spiritual junk food. There is also a lot in the world that can be considered spiritual health food.  It is important to know the difference, and to take in the good.







No comments: