Wednesday, December 24, 2014

'Twas the day before Christmas (2014)

'Twas the day before Christmas,
And all thru the house,
Not a creature was stirring--
Thank goodness no mouse!
All the stockings were hung,
All the presents were wrapped,
The music; the mayhem--
All the fun, while I napped.


For tonight I must stay,
Awake at the helm,
For magic awaits,
in Mischief's sweet realm.
The toys and the glitter
Are sweet but sub-par,
For Mary's baby
got his own shiny star.


And when I ponder
Just what that gift means
To my soul and yours--
Well, it's more than it seams.
It's all about giving--
the best that you've got.
It's not about size,
or color, or shop.


A baby was born--
Heaven's best gift,
To show us a path,
And our burdens to lift.
No wrapping required,
'though I hear cloth was used.
And I've heard all the stories
of crowns that abused.


So on the 'morrow,
there'll be magic and tree.
Mixed all together
in exuberant glee--
But tonight is the time
By candle's bright light,
We gather to read,
Of that First Christmas Night.

No comments: