Monday, November 7, 2011

Walk, Don't Run

A marathon runner I am not. I am about to venture into (again) the world of habitual walking, and I don't know if I'm excited (yay!), or feeling doomed (boooo). I live in a neighborhood where the masses seem to get their thrills from running. I mean: what IS the point? Feet pounding, moving at a pace too fast to see the ladybugs, and just fast enough to feel every aching bone. Fun? I think not.


Walking though, has its advantages. You can spot the ladybugs for one. You can watch the eagles fly, and note the new flowers that a neighbor has planted (and think about how you can incorporate some of that kind into your yard). You can visualize a make-over for every house you pass by (a secret hobby of mine), and the best part: you can find the peace that the outdoors hands out for free.


Of course I am writting this as there is snowdust outside, and the chances of an actual 'outdoor' walking regime is slim. I will, instead, be walking the indoor track at the local city center. Instead of breezes full of sweet fall air, it will be.... something else.


But if I also exercise my imagination.... I'll be walking in a forest glade, with butterflies and flowers all around me.

No comments: